Friday 12 March 2010

Why are you a Conservative?

A question posed to Nick Pickles our prospective parliamentary candidate.

"I was asked on the Pontefract Facebook group two questions, about why I got into politics, and why I’m a Conservative. Rather than clog up the group page, I thought it might make an interesting blog post.

To take the first part, well, first, why did I get into politics? I grew up in the Normanton parliamentary constituency, which before its abolition was the only seat to return a Labour MP at every election since the creation of the Labour party. An area that was once home to several pits, it would be fair to say it’s not your average Tory heartland.

Yet one thing I always got from the community, and my Dad, when I was growing up is that if you saw a problem, or someone you knew had a problem, there were two options: walk away, or roll up your sleeves."

To read more go to Nick's website here.

No comments: