Thursday 18 October 2007

Cabinet Speaks - Normanton

Monday night, six cabinet members, half a dozen councillors, five council employees, police chief inspector and local police inspector assemble for a public meeting to let the public know what they are doing.

This is one of the great ideas passed down from on high to "engage with the public at a local level.

I suspect Coronation Street got in the way.

I sat down in the hall with the four members of the public who attended.

In one of my earlier posts I asked WHERE IS THE MONEY? Well some of it was in a school hall in Normanton on Monday evening.

As the only opposition councillor present, I was quite pleased to find that the public wanted to talk to me about alternatives "to this lot".

Normanton is the parliamentary seat of Ed Balls, cheerleader in chief for our new Scottish PM and Minister for Children and Schools. When people used to say "thats not Brown thats Balls" they were talking about him, and it is said that he was driving policy when New Labour raided the pension funds at the start of their reign.

Talking to a very small sample on Monday evening the view seems to be that nobody came because the view is with the existing administration that there was not much point. It seems to me that the people of Normanton are ready for a change. Up to us to do something about that.

No comments: