Sunday 29 November 2009

Graham Phelps

A colleague from the controlling Labour Group on Wakefield MDC died suddenly on the 17th of November after a short illness. Graham was a long served hard working local Councillor for Airedale and Ferry Fryston. His passing drew tributes from across the community and hearing different peoples views it became clear how many peoples lives he touched for the better.

About two years ago at a school governors meeting we were told that a school bus service had been cancelled as the company were having difficulties. On the way back from the meeting I called Graham for advice as a WMDC representative on Metro the passenger transport executive. He quickly realised the urgency of the situation and asked me to leave it with him. I later discovered that he was in the Chief Executives office the following morning chasing a solution and we had a replacement bus company providing the service later that day. I thanked him for a first class result then and that memory sticks with me now.

Last Friday I joined many others from across the community at the local church to pay him tribute.

No comments: