Sunday 25 October 2009

The Night Watch

In May 2008 I was appointed as Chairman of one of the Licensing Authorities Sub Committees that administer the contested reviews and licensing applications under the Licensing Act 2003. The more time that I spend on Licensing issues, the more examples that I see of how the Act has made many peoples life much worse. Extended opening, drinks promotions, increasing noise nuisance issues linked to the smoking legislation all serve to impact the quality of peoples lives.

This week I am spending time with members of the Neighbourhood Policing team, looking at issues that they face and trying to get a sense of additional options to try to resolve some of the difficulties. If you wonder what I am on about the Home Office have a nice bit of night time reading here, with some surprisingly workable solutions.

The problem is that we need to build a real common purpose to get things sorted. I feel another new years resolution coming on.

No comments: